Thanks to thousands of hours of volunteer time and hundreds of hours of Wayne State Students volunteering the demolition is complete and the renovations have started!
The closing of the movie theater in downtown Wayne left not only a hole on Main Street, but also an opportunity for a community to come together and develop a flexible facility that will provide entertainment options for Wayne County area residents.
Project Majestic was formed in 2008 with the mission of providing both a quality motion picture theater and a performing arts entertainment option. Besides playing movies, the new facility will be a future venue option for Wayne Community Theatre performances. Current plans are to construct a facility that will:
- Offer a state-of-the-art theater experience including: 3-D projection and digital sound and projection; adult and child seating and handicap accessibility.
- Offer recent movies at $4 ticket prices.
- Offer historical movies, documentaries and movie themed events at discounted ticket prices.
- Offer Senior Citizen options of weekly matinees and educational films (including travel films and historical entertainment) as well as meeting and social location.
- Offer a live performance stage for area theater groups to perform.
- Offer Wayne area volunteer organizations the opportunity for meeting space, a place to bring in organizational speakers and fund raising option by volunteering in concession stand.
- Offer younger citizens options for local entertainment and a venue to host programs such as: 4-H fashion shows; school and club presentations, area school 1-Act performances, local piano recitals and music performances.
Project Majestic is led by a steering committee consisting of Jeff Morlok, Reggie Yates, Todd Young, and Stephanie Liska. Members of the Wayne Community Theatre group are also involved. Judy Nemec, a member of the group, said the new theater will be a great place for the group to perform.
Watch for additional information, including progress reports and ways you can become involved and support Project Majestic. To volunteer or find out more information please contact a member of the steering committee.